Friday, August 6, 2010

What if I don't get my rabbit neutered or spayed?

I was thinking about getting a rabbit and I did a lot of research. But in every guide I read, it said that I should get it neutered or spayed at the vet. My mom will never agree with the expenses. So I was wondering what would happen if I don't get my rabbit neutered or spayed.What if I don't get my rabbit neutered or spayed?
You don't have to worry about getting a rabbit spayed or neutered and here is why:





The spraying problem that the one person mentioned in regards to male rabbits is more genetically related than related to neutering. I've raised rabbits for over 24 years and have noticed that the herds of certain breeders will spray. You can have the same breed and same variety and one person's herd will spray and the other's won't. This is mainly due to breeding and genetics. A good rabbit breeder will not breed with rabbits that spray because their babies will more than likely carry on this trait. I personally never keep a rabbit that sprays to breed with and I pretty much never have a problem with the babies of those rabbits spraying as a result.





Regarding spaying and rabbit cancer: In 24 years of raising rabbits, I've never had a rabbit die of cancer and I've had thousands of rabbits in that period of time. So I wouldn't worry about it dying of cancer. It'll die of something else before cancer gets it.





Spaying/neutering with regards to breeding and false pregnancies: Rabbits should be kept in their own separate cages after they've been weened at about 60-70 days old. The reason for this is to avoid the rabbits fighting (fur in pen), chewing each other's fur, and biting each other (Noticed by: nicked ears, bites/bumps on back, missing tail/tail chewed off). It also prevents the rabbits from breeding if you have a male and female together. If you have the rabbits separated as they should be, for the most part, there is no reason to spay or neuter.





Spaying/neutering in regards to showing: A spayed or neutered rabbit cannot be shown in competition. It will be disqualified. I know this is a fact for neutered males. Not totally sure on spayed females, but I think it would be. To make sure you could contact the American Rabbit Breeders Association at:





http://www.arba.net





They set the rules and guidelines for rabbit shows.





One good possible reason for spaying: Female rabbits when they reach about 4 months old will go through their hormonal cycle. Some female rabbits at this age will turn mean due to the hormones and wanting to be bred. Females shouldn't be bred until they are about 8 months old. Sometimes after the rabbit has her babies she will calm down and return to the friendly rabbit she was before. In this instance to curb the behavior of the female due to the hormones, it may be a good idea to have the female spayed if the rabbit is not planning on being used to breed with and kept as just a pet.What if I don't get my rabbit neutered or spayed?
well if you don't want to make sure you get a female my male rabbit sprays all over the place and I have to clean his cage over and over again. Good Luck they are super messy
If you get a rabbit from the House Rabbti Society the cost of a nueter or a spay is included in the adoption fee. Chances are the rabbit you pick would already be fixed. If not all you would have to do is pick it up rom the vet and give it medicine. http://www.rabbit.org
I have a male rabbit. When I took him to the vet he told me that it was my OPTION to have him neutered and he really didn't have an opinion as far as potential health concerns. He said that a male rabbit would be fine not neutered as long as he was, obviously, not around a female rabbit. When I had my rabbit neutered he did NOT spray anymore (he was always attempting to rape my male cat and it was awful...sometimes funny...but mostly awful).





I do know that with female rabbits spaying benefits their health. They are more susceptible to cancer and other diseases if they are not spayed. So it really isn't an option that you are given.





The cost is very expensive (much more expensive than other ';traditional'; animals such as dogs and cats). For my rabbit to be neutered it, in total, cost me $350. The reason the rate is so much higher is that they are not generally done by your run-of-the-mill vets. This isn't a cost that you want to ';skimp'; on either...because many rabbits can die (due to anesthesia complications) if the vet doesn't normally perform these procedures on rabbits.





Here is all you need to know about spaying and neutering rabbits http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-鈥?/a> If you do decide to get a rabbit and have them spayed/neutered I would suggest going to your state chapter of the House Rabbit Society website and finding an approved vet in your area.





ALSO...you may want to check http://www.petfinder.com AND your local House Rabbit Society website...go to http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/index.htm鈥?/a> They may have rabbits up for adoption that have already been spayed/neutered which would eliminated your expense!!





I commend you for looking into all the ';in's and out's'; of owning a rabbit. So many people just impulsively buy one and don't think it out. Way to go!!! They are GREAT pets if you have the time and money for them!!! Good luck!!!
If you don't keep it with other rabbits, it will do just fine.
I'm not sure about males, but I know with females, it's VERY important to spay them because otherwise they can develop ';false pregnancies'; even if they aren't around any other bunnies. They get all moody and rip out their fur to try to make a nest and it can lead to ovarian or uterine cancers, too.





Our vet did the service cheaper than expected for other animals, since the bunnies are so small (anytime after 3 months is usually a good time to do it), so check around for prices. A word of caution: some vets are better with ';exotic'; animals (i.e., anything other than dogs/cats) than others, so ask for experience with rabbits. Good luck!
I wouldn't think you would need to get your rabbit spayed if she is by herself then that is fine but if she is with a male and you don't want to end up with loads of baby bunnies then thats when you might want to get it done
  • how to apply
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment