Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is it very inconvenient and tiring to keep a rabbit?

Tell me your experience, rabbit owner.:)Is it very inconvenient and tiring to keep a rabbit?
I have lots of rabbits and I don't find looking after them to be any problem at all. I enjoy playing with them when I'm cleaning out their cages - they love making it as difficult as possible for me by always getting in the way!! It's a matter of setting up a routine. If you use something like woodchips as bedding (not a good idea), it can be messy and time consuming. I clean my rabbits out every second day, then do a proper wash of the cage once a week. I line their box with newspapers, covered in a layer of oaten hay. They poo/pee in one side, and eat the hay in the other. Then, when it's time to clean, I roll it all up like I'm rolling up a rug, dump it in the bin, and line it with new newspapers and hay. Each cage takes me about 5 minutes. That's nothing. I spend about 15 minutes per week per cage on the major clean out. If you stop it getting really dirty by cleaning regularly and often, it's not unpleasant at all, and your rabbits actually will enjoy the interaction. This is something I find relaxing, and I always find that after a busy, stressful day at work, I feel much more mellow once I've finished my bunny clean outs.


However, not everyone sees it that way. If you are the type of person who doesn't like getting up a bit earlier in the morning to feed and play with your pet, if you don't like grooming them a few times a week, and handling them just for the pleasure, if you don't have much energy or time EVERY single day after school/work to take care of the mundane chore of cleaning, and if you keep the rabbit outside you need to be prepared to clean if it's raining or freezing cold or dark etc, then I would suggest not having one.


The people that complain that rabbits are dirty or a big deal to take care of are just not doing it right.


I take care of rescue rabbits which can mean having a LOT of them, and I never have any problem with smell or dirt, and all my rabbits are healthy and clean. I have days where i'm really tired and just want to collapse in front of the tv, and yes, I have to push myself to go out and get started, but after a minute, I'm enjoying myself and the rabbits are playing with my hands and nudging me, and it's all well worth the effort!


Any animal needs a long term committment - a person who tends to get bored with things easily or who doesn't have a lot of time or patience, or self discipline to do things they don't want to do, shouldn't really have a pet of any kind.Is it very inconvenient and tiring to keep a rabbit?
It is neither TRULY inconvenient nor tiring to own a rabbit, if you truly love the animal. If your the kind of pet owner that only likes an animal for the first few months that they are around, a rabbit isnt for you. Its an on going for up to 5 years or more expierence that can be both fun and beneficial.


Its always going to be kind of ';inconvenient'; to have any animal for that matter, but whether inconvenient is the right word or not is unknown. They need time, money, and attention. And ALL of those tie in together.


Do some homework and search some web sites on keeping rabbits.I hope you do find that you can keep one or maybe even a few of these delightful, loving, creatures.


Best of Luck =)
Not at all. Rabbits are bright, funny animals that have distinct personalties. They need an enclosure that allows them three jumps long and high enough to do this. They need outside enclosure time everyday and if you are smart, you will just bunny proof your home and let them free roam when you are home or for a good chunk of the day.





Their cage should be changed everyday but that would just mean scooping up the newspaper and putting some more down. Super easy. If not they will stink but females smell less than the males. I always say to people, how often do you flush your toilet? Would you go a week without flushing and wonder why it smells?





Rabbits are usually easy to litter train and their main food is timothy hay (not pellets), which is supplemented with pellets, raw veg and the occasional fruit treat.





They love toys and parrot toys are a great option for them.
I had a bunny when I was little. I loved it more than anything. Didn't seem to be a pain to take care of. But it was traumatizing when it died. I came home from school and it was not moving, Died in my arms. When my daughter is old enough, I will definitely get her a rabbit if she wants one!
I had a rabbit we just got rid of it. I hated owning that thing! To much trouble cleaning its cage every week. It stunk. It got wood chips all over my floor. It chewed up wires in my house. Glad its gone!
no rabbits are the best pets in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment