Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I think my rabbit has something in her ear?

My rabbit has redish crusty stuff in her ear it looks liks scabs. It hurts her for the ear to be touched. She is an indoor rabbit, and dosen't go outside often. I found some gnats in her food pellets and threw away the pellets immediately. This was either yesterday or two days ago. What could it be? Mites? or something else? How can I cure it without hurting my rabbit?I think my rabbit has something in her ear?
OMG OMG... yes!!!! It is ear mites and should be treated by a veterinarian ASAP!!! Run, do not walk to your vet. A rabbit can lose his/her hearing, the mites can invade the brain, the ears can need to be amputated and/or death if it does not get treated. The rabbit should be on Baytril antibiotic (have the vet give it a good shot of it at the office and take home the liquid), the vet will clean its ears of the mites (which is VERY painful for the Bun), you should give the bun plain yogurt twice a day once you get it back home and it is VERY contagious to ALL other pets you may have in the home. Also make sure to wash your hands thoroughly when treating the bun. You don't want to get sick either.I think my rabbit has something in her ear?
It could be mites. Take him to the vet asap because it could get infected and that would be very bad.
It could be many things...mites is one thing that comes to mind. Here is link to information about skin diseases in rabbits:


http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseas鈥?/a>


The best thing you can do it take your rabbit to a rabbit savvy vet first thing on Monday. Here are a couple of links to help you selet a vet:


http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.h鈥?/a>


Vets: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/r鈥?/a>


Hope your bunny is soon OK

No comments:

Post a Comment