Friday, August 6, 2010

Does anyone have a female rabbit that has tried to hump another female rabbit?

I have a new female rabbit and I was introducing her to my older female rabbit. The chased eachother for a second then they layed down together then all of a sudden my new rabbit started trying to hump the other rabbit! They are both 100% female. This is the first time this has every happened to me (I have 6 rabbits, 3 males and 3 females) so I was wondering if someone that has ever had any experience with this , can you help me.Does anyone have a female rabbit that has tried to hump another female rabbit?
Dominance :) They are trying to determine who the alpha bun will be. All normal behavior.





No, it is not ';bad'; for rabbits. However, it is very important that you carefully watch your two buns to make sure you don't see any signs of fighting. Typically, if you have two unaltered (intact- not spayed) females they usually have a hard time getting along in the same cage. If you see any signs of fighting it is best to invest in a second cage and seperate them so neither gets hurt.





If your buns are not spayed yet, it is a really good idea to do so! Unspayed females have better than an 80% chance of developing reproductive cancer by age three. Also, If you have more than one rabbit, regardless of their sexes, altering them also will make them much less likely to behave aggressively towards each other (which could result in serious injury or even death).





I know spaying can be expensive. There are organizations that can provide financial assistance for those who cannot afford the spay/neuter surgery. Please visit www.imom.org for more information!





Good luck!!





UPDATE: Even though they did not fight when you first introduced them does not ensure that they never will. Just keep a close eye on the two :)Does anyone have a female rabbit that has tried to hump another female rabbit?
they do it to show dominance, they have a pecking order, and thats how they show who is boss, my alfa female does this to all the ones that are lower on the scale.....
When my female dog was a puppy she tried to hump a male puppy. I think it is more of a dominance thing. Scientists have found homosexuality in most species, so who knows?
No but I know it's normal, one of them was probably trying to show dominance. Bunnies are very territorial.
yeah that happened to me yesterday i got a bunny about a month ago(female) and yesterday my cousin gave me her rabbit because her little sis treated the bun badly she threw it down the stairs and she pulled out its hair so now she has a bald spot on her tummy well both are girls and my bun starts to play with the other bunny then she starts humping the other bunny its weird
yes i had 2 male bunnys and they did the same thing. the only way i could stop it was to set one in a cage or let one go into the wild.
It's totally normal. They are deciding who is alpha bun. Keep a close on on them until you know for sure they are bonded. Do not leave them alone together until you know for sure.





Oh and Unknown Person is an idiot! Domestic rabbits have a low survival rate in the wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment